DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex
Cookies are tiny software files that are stored on a computer or mobile device when an individual visits a website. Cookies allow websites to recognise that a user on an individual computer has previously visited the site. The cookies save some information about that user for when they access the site again in the future. You can find out what cookies the Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex website use in the table below.
For more information about the different types of cookie, visit the About Cookies website.
The scope of this policy also includes all the websites, applications, mobile sites, and social media platforms that are owned by Age Concern, where personal data is processed. If you chose not to provide us with your personal information, in most cases, we will not be able to provide you with our services or information about them
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and security. Whenever you provide us with your personal information via our website “Site(s)”, we will treat that information in accordance with this policy, our terms and conditions and current UK Data Protection legislation. By using the Site and any services we offer via our Site, you are agreeing to be bound by this policy.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
We are subject to UK and other relevant data protection laws. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s office and our registration can be inspected on the Information Commissioner’s website. For information on how we manage your personal data and your rights with respect to your personal data, please read our Privacy Notice below
Queries or requests concerning the personal data held by Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex should be made to the Data Protection Officer by email at [email protected]
This policy may change from time to time, so please check this page periodically.
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex is a registered charity 1142414 and company limited by guarantee (number 7517777). The registered address is 63 North Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1PX
Age Concern & North East Essex its affiliated companies and subsidiaries.
Controller means the organisation, which determines the purposes for which, and the way, any personal data is processed. Data Protection Officer or DPO means the data protection officer appointed by Age Concern in the relevant jurisdiction.
Data subjects mean all individuals about whom Age Concern holds personal data.
Personal data is any data relating to a living individual which allows the individual to be identified, whether from the data alone, or in combination with other information.
Processing means any operation or set of operations which is performed upon personal data, such as the collection, recording, organization, storage, adaption or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, blocking, erasure or destruction of personal data.
Processor means the individual and/or organisation, which processes personal data on behalf of the Controller.
Sensitive personal data means personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, data concerning health, sexual orientation or sex life. Special provisions apply to the processing of sensitive personal data.
Data Protection and GDPR – General Regulations
- Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
- Who are we?
Age Concern Colchester and North East Essex is a data controller and processor (contact details below). This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
- How do we process your personal data?
Age Concern complies with its obligations under the “GDPR” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes: –
- To enable us to provide a voluntary service for the benefit of the public in a particular geographical area as specified in our constitution;
- To administer membership records;
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity;
- To manage our employees and volunteers;
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid applications);
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services running at Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex
- To share your contact details with partners if you agree to do so as part of how we may help with obtaining benefits or support.
- To match you within our befriending and friendships programme
- What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
- Explicit consent of the data subject so that we can keep you informed about news, events, activities and services and process your gift aid donations and keep you informed about events.
- Processing is necessary for carrying out obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement;
- Processing is carried out by a not-for-profit body with a political, philosophical, religious or trade union aim provided: –
- the processing relates only to members or former members (or those who have regular contact with it in connection with those purposes); and
- there is no disclosure to a third party without consent.
- Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with employees of Age Concern to support you for reasons connected with the running of the charity. We will only share your data with third parties outside of Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex with your consent, by way of a consent form to which we will require you to acknowledge and sign.
- How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep data for seven years in relation to any cases we open in line with industry recommendations. However, we only keep minimal information after two years with 80% of case information destroyed after two years.
Specifically, we retain gift aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 7 years after the calendar year to which they relate; and employment records permanently.
- Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex holds about you;
- The right to request that Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability), (where applicable) [Only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject and in either case the data controller processes the data by automated means].
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable) [Only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics]
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
- We are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Members of the public wishing to ask a specific question can contact us by email at [email protected].
- Further processing
With your consent should we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a consent form explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions., we will endeavour to seek your consent prior to the new processing.
- Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex at [email protected].
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.
Data Protection Online Website
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex would like to keep in touch with you to let you know about the vital work we do for older people, our products and services. By submitting your email, address and phone number(s) on our Site, or through our activities together to support you, you are agreeing to being contacted in these ways by Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex and its group of companies. You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time.
If you do not wish to continue receiving information from us or carefully selected third parties please email us at [email protected] or telephone us at 01206 368420.
Occasionally, we may share your data with other organisations that we work with. We will inform you (before collecting/processing your data) if we intend to share your data with any third party. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by ticking (or not ticking where applicable) certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise your right to ask us to stop processing your data in this way at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex and a number of its trading and associated companies are registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner. Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex is the Data Controller for the purposes of collecting your information on our Site(s) and through our contact with you.
- What personal information is collected from you
When you visit the Site we collect various personal information that you may enter which may include your name, address, contact details, IP address, and information regarding what pages are accessed and when.
- How your information is used
We may use this information in the following ways:
- Process orders submitted by you;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and us;
- Verify your identity;
- Seek your views or comments on the services we provide;
- Notify you of changes to our services;
- Improve our services or marketing purposes;
- Send you communications, which you have requested and that may be of interest to
- These may include information about campaigns, appeals, other fundraising activities, promotions of our associated companies goods and services.
- We may also use your images with your consent, if for instance you attended one of our events that we feature either in our newsletter of on our website
- Who has access to your information
We are committed to protecting the personal data of our supporters, customers and members. Any details you give us will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex (including its associated and subsidiary company[ies]) is the sole owner of the information collected on this Site. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to third parties, unless we have your explicit permission to do so, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime. Where you have given us permission we may contact you about other services and products or pass your details to similar organisations.
- How you can access, update or delete your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you. In the meantime, if you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us here, or write to us at 63 North Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1PX. You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex holds about you (we may charge up to £40 for information requests) to cover our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you do not want to continue receiving information by email from us, please follow the instructions at the bottom of the email, which will tell you how to contact us to unsubscribe.
- Security precautions in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your information
When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it is treated securely. Any sensitive information (such as credit or debit card details) is encrypted and protected with the following software 128 Bit encryption on SSL.
When you are on a secure page, a lock icon will appear on the bottom of web browsers such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Non-sensitive details (your email address etc) are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
- Stipulations regarding use of the discussion boards
Any communication or material that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the Site including, but not limited to, any data, questions, comments, suggestions, reviews, or the like, is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary information. When entering the discussion forum, you agree not to publish, post, disseminate distribute or otherwise transmit any defamatory, offensive, infringing, indecent or otherwise unlawful or objectionable material or information.
Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex will not be responsible for the posting by any user of any defamatory, obscene or otherwise unlawful material. Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex has the right to remove any material or posting you make on this Site at its discretion.
- What happens when visitors link to another site?
We do not pass on any personal information about our visitors to any other site. In addition, if you linked to this Site from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site and contact the owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
- 16 or Under
If you are aged 16 or under‚ please obtain your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to the Site. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
- Contact us
If at any time you would like to contact us with your views about our privacy practices, or with any enquiry relating to your personal information, you can do so by sending an email to us at [email protected] or telephone us at 01206 368420
We shall ensure that appropriate technical and organisational security measures are taken against unlawful or unauthorised processing of personal data, and against the misuse, destruction, disclosure, acquisition, accidental loss of, or damage to personal data. A third party processor shall only process personal data if they can demonstrate adequate compliance or certification to relevant information security standards and practices.
- Maintaining data security means protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the personal data:
- Confidentiality: we will protect your personal data from unauthorised disclosure to third parties. Integrity: we will protect your personal data from being modified by unauthorised third parties.
- Availability: we will ensure that authorized parties are able to access your personal data when needed.
- Transferring your information (personal data) outside of Europe
If you use our services while you are outside the EU, your information may be transferred outside the EU in order to provide you with those services.
GDPR Post Brexit
The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018), which currently supplements and tailors the GDPR within the UK, will continue to apply once the UK leaves the European Union. The provisions of the GDPR will be incorporated directly into UK law from the end of the transition period, to sit alongside the DPA 2018.