Age Concern Colchester and North East Essex
Supporting those in later years
At Age Concern Colchester and North East Essex, we work all year round to improve the lives of those in later years in our area. Since the Coronavirus struck, we know that older people had even more difficulty accessing services and vital local support. We have adapted what we do to make sure that we continue to be available for all those who need us at this challenging time. This Older Person’s Day we want to highlight how we can offer extra help to those who need it most.
Our services include:
- An advice service– including assistance with benefit entitlements and support with applications.
- A befriending service– which connects people to form local friendships and community support, reducing loneliness and isolation
- A care support information service- offering information on where to access assistance with home help, shopping, cleaning
- A community support café/ centre – which brings those in later life together for social connection
- Emotional support services– a bank of specialist trained support volunteers who assist those facing end of life alone at home and families who have experienced bereavement
- Dementia support– advice and support for anyone affected by dementia
- A local service directory – pointing you to services which you need that are available in your area
We would not be able to continue to do what we do without the help of our incredible team of volunteers – who help us to deliver our services locally in several important ways. Volunteers help us to:
- Befriend people – and brighten the week of someone in need with a phone call or visit
- Listen to people – when they need someone to talk to after a bereavement or at a difficult time.
- Sit with people – when they are facing the end of their life at home
Getting in touch
- Are you an older person who needs advice, information or support?
- Do you feel lonely or isolated and need someone to talk to?
- Could you help support those in later years in your area?
We are always looking for new ways to involve volunteers in our work so if you have a passion for helping those in later years in your area please get in touch. You can apply to volunteer through our website www.ageconcerncolchester.org.uk and choose the ‘volunteer’ button.
Call us on 01206 368420 then pick:
Option 1 for support with food supplies, medical supplies or for a care or home help solution
Option 2 for bereavement, emotional and end of life support and for support volunteering
Option 3 for support with befriending or volunteering to befriend.
Option 4 for support with welfare, advice or help completing forms.
Option 5 for support with dementia.