For carers, friends and family members, being aware of good practise when speaking to someone with Dementia will have a positive impact on their quality of life. Here are some sound tips from the experts to help make life easier especially if you wish to avoid communication problems.
- Remove all distractions, for example turn of the T.V – radio.
- Look directly at the person when you speak.
- Introduce yourself before starting a conversation.
- Start conversations by introducing a topic.
- Speak in a gentle manner.
- Offer an idea of time.
- Use simple words and short sentences.
- Speak slowly and clearly.